General Enquiries 880-2-58616641-50
Home  /  Latest News

Diabetes Awareness Day and 60th Foundation Day of the Bangladesh Diabetic Somitee observed


Diabetes Awareness Day and 60th Foundation Day of the Diabetic Association of Bangladesh was observed on 28 February 2016. In the morning, DAB members brought out a colourful procession from Shahbagh ending at Matsyabhaban in the city.

To mark the day different programs like: Free diabetes screening at different places of Dhaka city, Discussion session between selected diabetic patients and specialized physicians, Free heart camp at Ibrahim Cardiac Hospital etc. Diabetic Association of Bangladesh also brought-out a special issue of `Kanti' and published awareness Poster & Leaflet.

Rally on Awareness Day 2016 Discussion Meeting Discussion Meeting 2016 Question Answer Session
Awareness Screening Program Discussion Meeting in ICHRI Question Answer Session

A discussion meeting was arranged by Diabetic Association of Bangladesh at Birdem Hospital on this occasion. In this discussion health experts stressed the need of creating awareness and adopting healthy lifestyles to prevent diabetes across the country. The health experts cited that about 85 lakh people in the country had been suffering from diabetes but only 30 per cent of them were availing treatments. The speakers expressed their hope that DAB would be able to treat 50 per cent of the patients in 10 years by expanding their services. Of the total diabetic patients, they said, 5 per cent suffer from type-1 diabetes and the remaining 95 per cent suffer from type-2 diabetes.

Presided over by DAB president AK Azad Khan, the discussion was also addressed by National Heart Foundation president Md Abdul Malik, DAB secretary general Md Saif Uddin, Vice president AR Khan and Birdem director general Nazmun Nahar.

In the programme, covers of two books – ‘Bangladesh Diabetic Samity: Path Parikroma’ by AK Azad Khan and ‘Swasthyasebay 60 Bachhar : Bangladesh Diabetic Samity’ by Dr. Mohammad Abdul Mazid were unveiled.